Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Kona Trip!

Aloha!
It is hard to believe that I am already on my 3rd week of school here. School has finally started to pick up and I actually had two quizzes today and I have an exam tomorrow. This past weekend we went on our first trip to Kona! Kona is on the other side of the island. We actually got to go on a submarine which was  a lot of fun. The submarine took us down about 100 ft, and we saw multiple types of fish as well as coral reefs and shipwrecks. I did however get a little sick, we had to take a boat out to the submarine, and going down in the submarine was a little freaky to me. I did survive and I am very glad I did it. The other part of the day we spent walking around the shops of Kona and we also ate at a restaurant on the ocean. I love that side of the island, it is the side where the white sand beaches are, and a lot of tourism.

This past week I also got to stay up in the Mountain. My friend Steph is renting a house up in the mountain and it is about 20 miles from my apartment so I went up with her for the night and she cooked me some delicious stir-fry and we watched some movies and hung out. She actually just bought a baby husky! The cutest puppy ever! So we have been busy playing with Boss (his name). Up on the mountain it is about 10 degrees cooler then where I am in town, so it did get pretty chilly up there.

I also for the first time had a very popular "southern meal". I have met some amazing people from Louisiana. They made Jumbalia, fancy green beans and some garlic bread. It was by far the best home cooked meal I have had yet!

Tonight we have our mixed plate dinner for NSE students. There is going to be free food and it is traditional meals of the hawaiian culture so I am excited to try some new foods.

I know this is a shorter post but I wanted to get some pictures up. I am heading to the pro bowl this upcoming weekend in Honolulu so I am sure I will have tons to write about next week! I am super excited to go, there is a big group of us flying there for the weekend.

Oh I forgot! I experienced my first earthquake! it was 5.0 and it was intense. It felt like someone was blowing my apartment down. There are actually earthquakes every 2 or 3 hours on the island that I am on but they are usually only 1.5 or 2.0 so you don't feel them hardly. This one was big!

I hope all is well with everyone! Miss you all
Aloha!
Brittany

Could not get over how big this Pea POD WAS!!!

Some great new friends at Kona


Bre and I going into the Submarine

Kava- it is a drink of the hawaiian culture that is said to relax you and help with anxiety, it is from the root of a plant. It is not the best tasting, but it was really cool!


the submarine


No comments:

Post a Comment