Thursday, February 2, 2012

Pro Bowl Weekend!

Aloha!
Last week was one of the busiest weeks I have had here yet! I had my first few exams, of course all on the same day. They went...OK. The testing here is a lot different then back home so now I have a feel for how they quiz you and what to expect from here on out. This past week I also officially took a position for a job on campus where I proctor students with disabilities while they take exams. It is not many hours at all, and it is sort of an on-call first come first serve basis, but it is still something and hopefully I will be getting some hours in here shortly for some extra money which will be nice, seeing how my mango smoothies add up after a while :).

This past weekend me and 11 others decided to head out to Honolulu for the Pro Bowl game! It was tons of fun, Honolulu is A LOT different then Hilo. Very touristy, which was fun to be around for a while. We went to Waikiki Beach which was pretty nice. To be honest I was a little disappointed seeing how they consider it to be one of the most popular beaches in the world. Maybe because the beaches here are small and quiet, so the touristy feeling to me was a little annoying at times. The Pro Bowl block party the night before the game was really cool too. We walked around the streets and saw many vendors and ate some food and danced. I met a few famous football players, one from the jets and 2 from the dolphins..nobody I knew so nothing special. The best part of the night was someone from the NFL came up to me and asked me if I wanted free tickets!!!! I was the happiest camper on the block, I told him I needed 8 total for everyone. It was amazing. The tickets were normally around $85.00 so we saved a lot of money.

The day of the game I wore an LSU jersey, since a lot of the girls I hang out with go there it was the closest I could get to a Vikings jersey. I think there was maybe 3, or 4 other people (men over the age of 60) who also were representing the Vikings...so not many fans at all. It was a little disappointing...and I did get a few "really...the vikings???" looks...ha but it was still fun. The game was really cool to watch live, and the shows before and at half time were sweet.

My flight was at 5am on Monday morning so I was completely exhausted, and it took me a few days to get back in it again. I ended up going to the market today and finally knew what I was buying without being completely lost. I bought a lot of fresh vegetables, and I am officially in love with eggplant (I think I may have already pointed that out). If anyone has any good recipes (sister) please send them my way.

It finally rained for the first time! well during the day, which is crazy to think about seeing how that is all you hear about this city. This weekend we are taking a trip to the Green sand Beach, it is on the south part of the island. There are actually only 2 green sand beaches in the world, and one of them is located here! We are lucky that the school does weekend trips for us, especially NSE students because it gives us a chance to get to all of these places on the island since many of us don't have cars.

I am heading to bed, I hope all is well with everyone. Miss you all :)

Aloha!
Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment